Wednesday 30 April 2014

annoying essays!

Something that really annoys me is writing essays.  In other classes like math and science there is only one right answer and limited ways to get that answer.  When you do a question, as long as you know what formulas to use, you can know if you are getting the right answer or not.  In English class there is no right answer.  Anything can be right as long as it can be strongly supported.  I find it really hard to make sure I am going into enough depth when supporting my thesis and even creating my thesis, and this makes essay writing really annoying.  I hate not be able to tell if what I am saying is right or if it doesn't even make sense.  Also, even though we can't use any personnel pronouns in essays (another part of essay writing that really annoys me!), I feel like essays are very opinion based.  Everyone interprets text in there own way, so essays on the same text can vary a lot.  I guess that is nice for the teacher getting to read something different instead of the same thing over and over again, but I always feel I need to make my opinion the same as the teacher's opinion, even though I know that it shouldn't effect my mark.  I also am a pretty good procrastinator.  Especially when I don't like what I'm doing.  Since I can never get my thoughts straight for what I want to write, I just get really annoyed and don't do it.  One time I literally sat in front of a computer for two hours and did nothing because nothing would come to me.  Then I have the hour before the essay is due to finally throw whatever I can together because I have no more time left.  I am sure some of you are reading this and completely disagree with me.  If you enjoy writing and like knowing that there is no right answer you probably love writing essays.  I am just not that person though, and for me they are the most annoying part of school.        

7 comments:

  1. I liked reading what annoyed you about essays, because that's what I actually love about English. The opportunity to have different varied answers, and like you said as long as its strongly supported your usually good. Whereas in math, I personally struggle with the formulas because I never seem to get them right. Its hard because I know if I've got the answer wrong my whole way of solving the problem is wrong. I tend to find that people either excel in Math or English, but not both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, people either like to know they have the right answer, or know there is no right answer, but rarely ever like both options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I think you have expressed a reason why many students don't like writing essays. It is hard when things aren't black and white, and many people don't like struggling with uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with what you said about if what you're writing is right or nor. With math there is a formula, but with English the entire mark is completely subjective to whoever is marking it, which I don't think is very fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, essay's to me are also the most annoying part of school. You spend so much time writing them just to have yourself shut down by the markers opinion. There is no right or wrong answer just proof to back up your interpretation of the text, which could be weak or strong enough to support your opinion. This doesn't seem right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Essay's ewww! I just really don't like English in general. First of all I get terrible marks, which puts a damper on my spirits. Then it seems when I don't try as hard I get better marks than when I do try hard. So why do I even bother... Finally I really don't like how you mark depends on whether or not the teacher likes your opinion of a text.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to address the belief that the grading of essays is completely subjective and based on whether or not the teacher "likes" your interpretation of a text.

    I think that essay writing can be rather formulaic. For example, integrating quotations. There is a set formula for doing so. It takes practice to integrate quotations, just like balancing equations in chemistry takes practice.

    A teacher doesn't mark you based on your opinion of a text. A teacher marks you based on your INTERPRETATION of a text, and your ability to support that interpretation with VALID evidence that is ANALYZED and COMMUNICATED in a CLEAR manner.

    Finally, perhaps I'm a bitter English/History teacher, but I feel as though there is a respect for math and science that doesn't exist for the humanities. To explain, students are usually willing to work incredibly hard in science and math, as evidenced by the vast numbers of students who attend math and science extra help. They are okay with struggling with those subjects and putting in the effort. For English, it isn't the same. Reading a text thoroughly takes time. Writing an essay takes time. It isn't a case of not being able to do it, but rather, a case of not putting in sufficient effort.

    *Disclaimer: This isn't directed towards any particular students, but rather, it is my general observations over the last couple of years

    ReplyDelete