Monday 7 April 2014

My Defining Moment - Raven Elliot

Raven Elliot

 My Defining Moment 


My defining moment? I think that one's character is defined by many moments, based on actions, behaviors and thoughts. But there is that one major day or time in one’s life when they just think. Think about where they are, where they've been, what they've done, where they want to go, what they want to do, and most importantly who they are and who they want to be. For myself this day would have been in the early spring of 2009. The face of the day was turning into twilight as I was standing on the deck of my suburb house in the city, reflecting on the past few months of my life that were full of so much despair, loneliness and struggle. My so called family was full of controlling and very narrow minded people. Growing up in that environment I learned that I was supposed to behave a certain way, be a certain someone, and value certain things. I had no intentions of doing this. I valued my education and through that I found my freedom to be a unique individual. That day I decided I would forever take off the mask I wore to keep conflicts with my family at bay. These conflicts were, about my identity, as I was starting to stand up for myself and deny the certain way that they wanted me to be. The next step was to figure out who I wanted to be. Learning had helped me before so I decided I would read. I read novel after novel, several genres. Through these adventures I defined a mental list of what my characteristics were and what more I wanted to be like.Through the eyes of the different characters and knowing all the different possibilities I had, I realized what my values were and what I wanted. Because of that moment of realization, to the day I stand up boldly for what my values are and my freedom to be who I want to be.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about such a vulnerable time in your life. It is very brave.

    ReplyDelete