Saturday 22 March 2014

Brother from Another Mother

Devin and I in 2012
        I became who I am today through a brotherly-like bond shared between a hockey played that my family billeted, and I. His name is Devin Mantha, and he moved into our home from Michigan when he was 18 to play on the 2006 Jr. A Orangeville crushers. When he first came to our house, he was quiet, shy, and ultimately kept to himself because he was living in a new city, in a new country, with strangers. However, he shortly became a valued member of our family. Not only was he a part of my immediate family, he also became an active member in my extended family and showed up to all of our family events, such as: Christmas dinners, thanksgivings at the cottage, and family birthdays. Eventually, Devin and I became closer than my actual brother and I. While my brother was out hanging with his friends, Devin and I were watching tv, playing video games on his xbox, going out for drives, and just spending the whole day together. I believe that this is the moment that has defined me this far in my life, because Devin was my biggest role model growing up, he was and still is the person who i look up to the most, and most of all, he became a life-long brother to me.

2 comments:

  1. Steven, your story is heart-warming. I remember my parents telling me that you don't get to pick your family, but you get to decide who your friends are, and often, friends can become your family. I'm so glad that you were able to forge this brotherly connection and have such a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Mrs. Le, I believe that it was truly a once in a life time experience. I agree that you cant chose your blood related family, however Devin and I have became as close to family as possible. Even though he has been living on his own for quite some time now, he has managed to stop by our house for 2 visits so far. Also my family has taken a trip down to Michigan and stopped by his house to catch up.

      Delete