Thursday 20 March 2014

Defining Moment

Defining My Own Identity

          One of the largest defining moments in my life has been learning to think for myself. Ever since I was a year old, I was a vegetarian. My mom did all of the cooking and because she didn't eat meat, neither did I. When kids at school asked me, "Why are you a vegetarian?" "Why Don't you eat meat?" I just said "Oh it's healthier, it's better for you" just regurgitating the information I was told and not even really thinking about it at all. It wasn't until 2011, when I watched Food Inc. that I actually thought about it and developed my own will and reason to be a vegetarian.

          Up until that point, I had only thought of meat as just that, meat, food. Being a kid, I hadn't even given thought to the idea that you actually had to kill an animal in order to get meat. Let alone how they show the animals are treated in the documentary. This realization of the cruelty made me reflect on how I hadn't been thinking for myself up until that point, and so I decided that I would always think first, and not just do something or accept information without thinking it over

8 comments:

  1. Connor, this is an excellent lesson to learn. It is so important to think about the information you are given and ask "why?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to think that you didn't really know why you were a vegetarian, but then you discovered your own reason for being one. So many people are born into beliefs that they may not truly stand for. But to come up with your own reason to be something is to define who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet visual, man. Broccoli is for sure one of the most powerful veggies out there. I totally agree with the importance of digging deeper into the information that we're given, not only to accept it. I've found myself doing more of that even in biology class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, what are you questioning in biology class?

      Delete
  4. Connor, I really enjoyed listening to your presentation. I like the fact that in your defining moment you were able to connect with a bigger life picture of making your own choices. Not only was it great the way you tied everything together, but your presentation was something interesting about you and kept your audience intrigued. Way to go Conner-O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connor, your presentation was awesome. I can see your passion and dedication to being a vegetarian. I for one couldn't imagine a life without eating meat.

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine what it's like to only eat vegetables because eating meat is one of my most favourite things, but it is great you found your own reason to becoming a vegetarian instead of just blindly following what you were born into. As most have stated, people are born into their beliefs and don't really question themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this presentation because I believe that it is a huge problem that people do not question the information they are given. I agree with you in the sense that it is important to be defined by an identity which truly reflects your values. This presentation also reminded me of how Baba in The Kite Runner is trying to teach Amir to think for himself and not to believe everything he is taught in school. I believe this is significant because it teaches you how to be confident with your own decisions.

    ReplyDelete